The Wellington ME/CFS Support Group was started in 1995 to help all those living in the Wellington (New Zealand) area who suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.The group was incorporated in 2009 under the name Wellington Region ME/CFS Support Group Inc.
We offer advice, assistance and general support to sufferers and care givers and have a range of resources, books and tapes (both audio and video) which can be borrowed or purchased.
We manage a Facebook page and are currently developing an Online Private Support Group. Every so often we produce a newsletter to help keep every member in touch with what is happening both in the group and the CFS/ME world.
Our Support Group Meetings are held monthly (Feb – Dec) at set venues within the Wellington Region, as well as the Horowhenua District. We also host informal Coffee Groups at selected “ME/CFS-friendly” cafes.
Occasionally Support Groups host guest speakers and in the past these have included
- Dr Rosamund Vallings who has over three decades experience in the field of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and is one of New Zealand’s leading authority on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Dr Lynette Hodges, Lecturer in Exercise and Sport at the Massey University School of Exercise and Sport
- Dr Marion Leighton, Internal Medicine Specialist, consultant at Wellington Hospital and also practicing privately.
- WINZ Representatives
- Members who have attended a CFS conference
- Raewyn Richardson , a community pharmacist who lives with Fibromyalgia
We have also hosted complementary therapists such as a Feldenkrais practitioner, homeopathic nurse and a clinical hypnotherapist.
While each Support Group Meeting is run according to a set of guidelines, topics vary according to each group, and we happily encourage our support meetings to take on their own path as the need arises.
For meeting times and dates please visit our Meeting Information Page
We aim to help all members who need assistance in getting to meetings by encouraging carpooling where possible. If you would like to attend a meeting, but feel you need assistance in arranging getting there, please feel free to contact us.
For more information please contact us by phone (0800 632 847 for general information & enquiries) or email.