A Gluten-Free alternative to Oat Porridge for Winter!
Toasted Almond and Coconut Quinoa Porridge by Gena Hamshaw
- 1/2cup Slivered almonds
- 1cup Dried quinoa
- 1cup Water
- 1 1/2cup Full fat coconut milk, divided
- 2tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1/4teaspoon Sea salt
- 1Cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp cinnamon)
- 1/3cup Pitted dates, chopped into small pieces (optional)
- Heat a shallow pan or a dry skillet over medium heat. Toast almonds till they’re golden. Quickly remove from heat and transfer to a cool plate to stop them from burning.
- Rinse quinoa using a sieve until the rinse water runs clear. Bring the quinoa, maple syrup, sea salt, cinnamon, 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer until quinoa is fluffy and all liquid has absorbed (about 15-20 minutes). Turn off heat and fluff quinoa gently with a fork. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Quickly, before it gets cold, divide quinoa into four bowls. Top each with about 2 tablespoons of coconut milk, along with 2 tablespoons of toasted almond slivers and a sprinkle of dates, if desired. Serve.